Tuesday, September 2, 2008

[S]Cool

Going back to school, oh - the disdain I had for doing so. I could always tell the time was approaching when the endless summer nights of tag, hide and seek, and catching fireflies seemed to get shorter and shorter only because it was getting darker and darker, earlier and earlier. Got all that? I also knew it was time to go back when my mom would take me clothes shopping (for some reason I always liked that part of going back to school). I loved wearing my new fall and winter clothes even though the first few weeks of school the temperatures were still in the the 80's and 90's and I would sweat my butt off in my favorite new wool sweater and corduroy pants. I would still wear the clothes, I really didn't care.

For the past couple of years of my life, I have completely loved the going back to school days. Let's be honest, after a full summer of two energetic, tireless children and daily deadlines, the call of crisp mornings, and darker evenings is utterly refreshing. The sound of the practicing school bus. The incessant ringing of cash registers as they add up the expense of sending children to school in decent attire. These things don't bother me a bit. To me, these sounds equal freedom, time, and a bit of breathing room.

Don't get me wrong, I can talk a big game. After the school bus drives away carrying the precious cargo that I once physically held within the confines of my own body - my heart pinches, HARD. I blink back tears and breathe shallowly until I remember that 'F' word I like so much, Freedom. Then I run in the house and dance my little happy dance and spend some quality time with my other son who starts school next week. That'll be another post entirely...

This morning I watched my eldest son climb the stairs of the school bus to begin the next step of his journey through public elementary school. My heart pinched, my eyes watered, and my breathing increased to a rapid staccato rhythm. Good luck baby, I wish you the best in second grade, I love you with all of my heart and soul, forever and ever...Try hard, and always be the best you that you can...

My Boy...


My Favorite Picture of the Morning

P.S. - The day was a success, he came home happy and tired! And with no homework! Woohoo!

No comments: